From: Ghanwani, Anoop [mailto:anoop.ghanwani@hp.com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 10:36 AM
To: Wadekar, Manoj K; STDS-802-3-CM@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [8023-CMSG] P802.3ar rate control

Hi Manoj,

I think there may be a hole my understanding and perhaps
you (or someone else) can clarify.

When the client has data that it wants to send, does it
know whether or not the MAC is ready to put the packet
on the wire?  If it does not, how would it deal with
the following scenario.  Let's say the egress rate
is to be limited to 10% and several low-priority
MTU-sized packets are generated by its apps, followed
by high-priority minimum-sized packet?

Anoop

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cm_study/public/0501/wadekar_2_0501.pdf

In order for a project to get started within 802.1, the CMTF needs to
prepare a "complete proposal" for review by 802.1, ideally at the March
meeting. 802.1 seems open to a congestion notification project along the
lines of what Manoj is proposing.

kevind