Re: [8023-CMTF] Retry's on the link (heretical observations)

Title:
David and All,

Long time ago I sent to the reflector a proposal to use LLC for Congestion Management: LLC_CM.PDF. I think you have to reconsider my proposal, because it 100% IEEE 802 and resolve the problem of the congestion management.

I have developed a complete, and extremely simple, network model, which solve the problems of the current Ethernet and Internet, using a double stack: TCP/IP and LLC/ETH to provide the network services, and using a physical switching in the network nodes. The physical switching permits to extend the link control through all the network, end to end, and do the congestion management in cooperation between network nodes and terminals. In my experience, there is no other way to do it.

This is described in a short article, that David already knows. I have also a detailed description of the technique that I would like to share with you. If you consider it interesting, I will prepare a presentation.

Best,

Jose Morales Barroso
jmb@ieee.org

David V James wrote:
Ben,

I think it is quite a stretch to take Hugh's proposal and begin
talking about ACK/NACK across a link in order to ensure
guaranteed delivery of frames.

Its a rather natural stretch for a bus designer, perhaps
closer to a yawn, but a certainly a stretch for a WAN designer.

the MAC Client can know if it is okay to withdraw a lower
priority request when a higher priority frame arrives.

We solved that in 802.17 by simply providing distinct
flow-control indications to the client, one for each class,
and passing a class parameter along with the frame.

Since the MAC-to-Client interface is all an abstraction,
anyway, this would seem to be a simpler approach.

The addition of guaranteed delivery to Ethernet, without
a well-defined problem to be solved,

I thought that was a well defined problem from the CM folks.

may add more complexity than many are willing to accept.

I don't think the problem is complexity: the 10G link has
_far_ more complexity, in gate count, power, Si area, etc.

That's based, of course, on the assumption of only on the
backplane or in the computer room. NACK/ACK doesn't perform
well on MANs and WANs, but the CM group seems to be more
computer-room centric in their concerns.

However, it is certainly a dramatic break from the past
Ethernet religions, as hence the "heretical" email title.

Much more likely to be done in another forum, where folks
are more experienced with backplanes. For example:
  http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/msc/MSC_RBR/info.html

Respectfully,
DVJ