[8023-CMTF] IMPORTANT UPDATE - September 2008 802.3 and 802.1 Interim in Chengdu

Colleagues,

On Monday, May 12, 2008, a 7.9 magnitude earthquake struck near the city of
Chengdu, China. As you know, 802.3 and 802.1 were scheduled to hold a joint
Interim session in Chengdu, hosted by Huawei, during the week of September
15, 2008.

We have consulted with our Huawei host, Linda Dunbar. Huawei's Chengdu
faculties have sustained major damage and the total extent of the damage and
loss of life in the region will be unknown for some time. In light of this,
the 802.3 and 802.1 leadership suggested that it would be helpful to Huawei
to defer hosting. Huawei agreed that this would best, and offered to host
802.3 and 802.1 some time in the future.

Therefore, the September 2008 joint Interim will be moved to an as-yet
unknown new venue. At this time we intend to co-locate (if possible) with
802.1 as planned during the week of the September 15. Our meeting plan for
the year placed the September Interim in Asia. If any of your companies
would like to step in and can host in Asia, please get in touch, either in
person or via email. It is possible that we will need to hold the September
Interim in North America due to the greater availability of suitable venues.

We extend our deepest sympathy to Huawei and the people of China.

Regards,

David Law, 802.3 WG Chair

Steve Carlson, 802.3 Executive Secretary