On a more practical basis, if you want to take advantage of volume manufacturing of a particular device type, the the way to do it is only specify it in one place.

I hope this helps,

Geoff Thompson

On Feb 20, 2019, at 6:40 AMPST, frank effenberger <frank.effenberger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would love to eliminate repetition, for all the reasons you highlighted.
However, we don’t want to make the standard difficult to read.  And there is the precedent from other clauses to consider.
Perhaps the 802.3 brain trust can give us some guidance.  We are happy to oblige.
Frank E

From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:mxhajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:30 AM
To: frank effenberger <frank.effenberger@xxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-3-NGBIDI@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'Law, David' <dlaw@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [802.3_NGBIDI] Material for ad hoc call

Frank,

I do not believe any *watermark* is needed at this time, since this is a contribution from an individual, right? It only happens to look similar to what the initial draft version would look like. I think it might be best to consult David here on what the right approach is. All I know is that distributing it as if it was an official copyrighted draft is confusing.

If the preference is to separate single-fiber PMDs from multi-fiber PMDs (I still find it odd that any of the editors would actually recommend that, given the added maintenance mess if adds) we should strive to keep all single-fiber PMDs in one clause. After all, a lot of the material will be similar. Effectively, what I am trying to figure out is how we can get the draft out without having to repeat too much material from existing clauses, and avoid repetition over and over again within the new clause(s), unless there is a very good reason for it.

The base standard is becoming larger and larger quickly with each new project, and while electronic version is still very usable, all the repetitive material is just a nightmare for future maintenance projects

Marek