Re: [802.3_SUPER-PON] PCS Proposal

Thank you, Claudio

In Clause 74 is just a sublayer and not the whole PCS. I think interoperability wise, you’re setting yourself for problems – an OLT with one PCS will not understand the ONU with the other PCS.

Marek

From: Claudio DeSanti <00000b528d17fa95-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:24 PM
To: STDS-802-3-SUPER-PON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_SUPER-PON] PCS Proposal

Hi Marek,

I see the possibility of an optional second PCS as something similar to clause 74, "Forward Error Correction (FEC) sublayer for BASE-R PHYs".

As stated in clause 74:

"The 10GBASE-KR and 40GBASE-KR4 PHYs described in Clause 72 and Clause 84 optionally use the FEC sublayer to increase the performance on a broader set of backplane channels than are defined in Clause 69. The FEC sublayer provides additional margin to account for variations in manufacturing and environmental conditions."

One PCS, the 10G-EPON one, is able to support all that we need for Super-PON. Enabling the option of a second higher performance one (the 25G-EPON PCS) goes in the same direction of the statement I just quoted, "provides additional margin to account for variations in manufacturing and environmental conditions".

From the Super-PON PMD perspective, replacing the 10G-EPON PCS with the 25G-EPON PCS has the same effect as enabling the FEC sublayer of clause 74: it goes from operating on a 64/66 encoded bit stream to a 256/257 encoded bit stream, at exactly the same clock. Slide 6 on the presentation attempts to convey this.

Although along the same lines, I understand that having the option of a second higher performance PCS goes a step further than clause 74. This is why I like people to think about it..

Thank you,

        Claudio.