[802.3_DWDM] Today's Discussion

Dear Task Force Participants,

During today’s interim call there was discussion between participants regarding the timing of adopting a baseline proposal.  Some individuals noted that adopting a baseline now would allow work to commence, while others noted adopting too early would lead to more discussion later in the process.  Other parts of the discussion was about the need for more parameters.

As there was a strawpoll in process, I refrained from commenting at that time.  However, now, I want to share my perspective with the TF.

The simple reality is that either adopting too early or waiting too long can be detrimental.  Adopting too early and trying to resolve through comments can be challenging.  However, it should also be realized that the actual adoption of the baseline can assist us greatly in developing the standard.  The key is finding that right point where it makes sense to adopt the baseline and begin the challenge of writing the standard.

Based on the results of today’s strawpoll, it should be evident to all that additional discussions and potential information is needed.  I want to encourage all to review the baseline proposal -

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cw/public/tf_interim/20_0423/sluyski_3cw_01a_200423.pdf, and send feedback and questions to the reflector.  Thanks to Eric Maniloff for doing exactly this last night.  I hope to see others follow his example.

Our chief editor and I will be reviewing the schedule of P802.3ct and P802.3cw and will send an update to the reflector early next week.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE P802.3ct Task Force

Chair, IEEE P802.3cw Task Force