Re: [802.3_DWDM] Terminology Debate - Black Link

Given that we are utilizing the methodology from the ITU, I’m inclined to believe it is in our general best interest to align our terminology with that used in specifications such as G.698.2, at least as much as possible within the constraints of 802.3.  In other words, my general inclination would be to diverge only if we need to diverge, and otherwise to align so as to avoid confusion by using the same term to mean different things.

With that in mind, I just spent some time re-reading G.698.2 (or at least part of section 5), as well as looking at our definitions in D3.0, and I’d appreciate some help in clarifying something.

What stood out for me is that we appear to have diverged on our definition of the term “DWDM Link”.  In G.698.2 Figure 5-1, it appears to me as if “black link” and “DWDM link” are roughly equivalent, as they define what lies between S(s) and R(s) (equivalent to TP2 and TP3 respectively in 802.3ct); the difference, I suppose, is that a “black link” is a form of “DWDM link” that is “black” (or uses the black link methodology to describe it).  However, in looking at the definitions in 802.3ct’s changes to 1.4.237, it appears that “DWDM link” is different:  it includes the PHYs, but only includes a single link between those two PHYs.  A DWDM system is therefore the aggregate of the DWDM links, or everything including the PHYs (which I presume includes the transmitter and receiver).

Do I have that right?  Or am I misunderstanding the definition of a DWDM PHY?  I’d appreciate the feedback from experts in helping me to better understand the intent of these terms.

Because if I’m right that we’re using those terms differently, I can’t help but wonder if that’s leading to some other points of confusion here…

Thanks.

Matt