[802.3_DWDM] State of IEEE P802.3cw

Title: State of IEEE P802.3cw

All,

Hopefully you have seen my email regarding the extension of the 5th Task Force Review.

As I noted there was a poor response to the 5th Task Force Review.  Outside of our chief editor doing his job and making comments to address issues he found – only one other individual contributed comments.

I am extremely disappointed as Task Force Chair, especially after the closing report I gave at the January 2022 Interim (https://www.ieee802.org/3/minutes/jan22/0122_3cw_close_report.pdf) where I noted the slow progress.  Furthermore, once again we have missed our adopted schedule timeline (https://www.ieee802.org/3/cw/proj_doc/timeline_3cw_210927.pdf )  where we agreed in Sept 2021 to get to WG ballot at the March meeting.   Please note that this is the second update to the timeline for the development of the 400GBASE-ZR during the IEEE P802.3cw Project and does not include the modified schedules made during the IEEE P802.3cn and P802.3ct Task Forces.

Please note that at the March 2022 IEEE 802.3 Opening Plenary Meeting I will need to provide an update on the status of the IEEE P802.3cw Task Force.  This extension does not reflect well on the desire of individuals for this project.  I realize that some may point to the straw poll regarding test data for EVM.  However, as Tom and I discussed, there are a number of TBDs in D1.4 that are not related to EVM that have received little to no attention.

I am requesting that individuals take the time to immediately review D1.4 and submit comments prior to the 802.3 Opening Plenary.

As a reminder, our Task Force is the “errand child” of the 802.3 WG, they ultimately own the project.  Worst case scenario that can’t be ignored is that they could decide to withdraw the PAR for this project, which will bring this effort to an end.

I would also point out given the other hat I wear as IEEE P802.3df Task Force chair, the withdrawal of our PAR would reflect poorly on the potential standardization of coherent signaling.  I have already made a presentation to that group regarding the status of this effort.  See https://www.ieee802.org/3/df/public/22_02/dambrosia_3df_01_220222.pdf

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE P802.3cw Task Force