[802.3AZ] project update

Folks,

The March plenary meeting went well. We managed to close most of the TBDs, account for the wake shrinkage times for all PHYs except backplane, and include the transmit and receive state diagrams for L2 in clause 78. We also adopted a containment model for L2 at a joint meeting with the 802.3at and maintenance task forces. Nonetheless, we still have work to do to meet the goal of having a draft that is technically complete.

There are architectural inconsistencies we need to resolve. We need the wake time shrinkage values for the backplane PHYs and we need to make sure Low Power Idle (LPI) does not have a negative impact on link fault signaling. We also need to incorporate the changes required for the containment model.

The Wake Time Shrinkage Ad-Hoc will continue to work on the calculations for the backplane PHYs and provide us with recommendations and minimum values, if needed. The L2 Ad-Hoc will continue to work on the containment model and refinement of the L2 section of clause 78. I have also chartered an Ad-Hoc to determine whether or not LPI has a negative impact on link fault signaling. George Zimmerman is chair of that Ad-Hoc. If any of you are interested in contributing to that effort, please contact him. George will send meeting information to the reflector soon.

Our plan is to post Draft 1.3 on March 30. We need to scrutinize version 1.3 to make sure there are no holes, that the remaining TBDs, which are mainly cross references, get filled in, and that the architecture is consistent. If we post D1.3 on time, our comment deadline will be April 17. Please plan time to review the draft carefully as we do not want to have to make a lot of changes to the draft we offer for preview, D1.4, by the Working Group after the May meeting.

I would like to thank Sanjay and our editors for their continued hard work, as well as our Ad-Hoc chairs David Law and Wael Diab, and Ad-Hoc participants for bringing in the contributions that allowed us to close so many of the open items we had. Also thanks to the Task Force for making last week's meeting so successful.

Lastly, Final comment responses on Draft 1.2.1 have been posted as well as the March meeting minutes.

Best regards,

Mike

--
Michael J. Bennett
Chair, IEEE P802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet