[EFM] EPON requirements and evaluation scenarios

"Menard, Francois" wrote:

> > I confess I am a little lost by the 20% bandwidth loss number.
>
> You seem to have missed the beginning of the thread ;)
> I'm not stating this number, Ajay at Broadcom is.  He is saying that DBA
> confers a 20 to 30% bandwidh advantage over Stat Mux.  DBA is equivalent to
> request/grant mechanisms of DOCSIS.

This number comes from simulation results of two specific scenarios given in our
presentation.

It is difficult to evaluate the advantage of statistical multiplexing because it
is different for every scenario. It depends on the number of users sharing the
bandwidth, the traffic generated and other factors. Those particular examples
were for 32 ONUs. So this 20-30 only applies in that context.

We can only agree on the need of DBA or not once we have the evaluation of the
target scenarios for the design. We can then discuss if this x% improvement for
each scenario is cost effective for the added complexity.

Hence it is important to agree on the EPON specific requirements and evaluation
scenarios. And this is one of the topics/presentations scheduled for the next
meeting. I, Glen Kramer, and JC Kuo have volunteered to prepare it. I am
currently drafting a first version of it based on what it has been presented so
far. Any additional comments or specific suggestions for the list are welcome.
We can discuss and approve the individual requirements and scenarios during the
EPON sessions in the meeting.

Dolors