[EFM] RE: Wavelength allocation

Hi Carlos,

Good points.  I'm grateful for the perspective of a Carrier.

> What I envision is multiple EFM solutions over the same fiber, maybe
> co-existing with other solutions for broadcast video. In my opinion,
> the frequency allocation map for the access network may be defined
> independently of the core frequency allocation map.

I agree that wavelength overlays are important to not preclude, because they
may be used for dedicated P2P wavelength (CWDM or DWDM) service over P2MP,
Analog video broadcast, etc.  But as far as the scope of EFM work, I don't
think we have to go there; that is to say, wavelength overlay plans are
probably not in the initial scope.  All we need to do is to allow for the
possibility for use, and perhaps for future standardization. And then we are
covered.  We reduce our work to more standard PMD, and do not shut the door
to a wavelength access network.

Maybe this is a good analogy -- 10 GbE, which has a more immediate demand
for WDM compatibility for Metro.  This is not solved in the 10 GbE spec, but
on a separate optical layer.

Gerry