From: Hugh Barrass [mailto:hbarrass@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 4:53 PM
To: Sherman Ackley
Cc: Stds-802-3-Efm (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [EFM] EFM Requirements

Sherman,

Thank you for your input. I recognize that your viewpoint is based on the
provision of service to rural areas and I have some difficulty with the
general
applicability of your numbers.

Firstly the coverage:

3km, 100 homes. If we assume 3km radius, that is an area of ~28million
square
metres. this is equivalent to 282,000 square metres per home - this is
sparse
for farmland. I suggest that sfh density in suburban areas will be close to
100
times denser than your example.

Secondly HPNA coexistance:

It is not certain (or even likely) that HPNA will solve the home networking
needs now and into the future. Even HPNA-2 has barely enough bandwidth to
cater
for current applications and it is difficult to guarantee QOS. HPNA requires
bridging between multiple phone line and it does not solve the problems of
reaching places where there is no current phone socket (i.e. TV locations or
other connected appliances). Outside the US, the prevalence of multiple
phone
sockets is much lower. As soon as rewiring is required then FireWire or
Ethernet
(cheers!) is a better alternative. The best candidates for existing media
are
802.11a and HomePlug (if it can reach the bandwidth required).

Even if HPNA is used, it may be possible the 802.3ah CPE device will act as
filter to separate the HPNA signals from the local loop. It is also possible
that the FCC may require that HPNA signals are prevented from leaking onto
the
local loop by insertion of a filter in any case.

Thirdly rate and reach expectations

As an engineer, I feel that I should warn anyone who is asking or expecting
service well beyond the Shannon capacity of the media that their
expectations
will probably never be met. A data rate of 10Mbps at a distance of 12km on
telephone wiring is not just beyond current technology, it is beyond the
laws of
physics.

I suggest that in rural areas you should be considering fiber-based
services.

Hugh.

Sherman Ackley wrote:

> Service Provider Requirements for Ethernet in the First (two) Mile(s):
> Sherman L. Ackley, CTO
>
> The National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative provides services to
over
> 350 member independent telephone companies who serve over 6 million access
> lines.  Ethernet in the first mile is the most promising technology for
the
> delivery of integrated voice, video and data services in the suburban and
> rural areas served by our Members.  As the Chief Technology Officer for
> NRTC, I would like to submit some practical requirements as seen by the
> service providers most likely to implement this technology in the USA.
The
> intent of this contribution is to help the study group prepare the
> requirements document based on actual needs.
>
> The user locations will be 90 percent residential and 10 percent business.
> Of those businesses, 90 percent will have 10 or fewer PCs.
>
> The system must work over standard high capacitance telephone outside
plant
> cable.  Binder group integrity is not assured.  The technology should not
> force removal of bridge taps and end sections.  It needs to operate
without
> degradation at binder group fills over 70%.
>
> System reach is the most important aspect of the design.  Ethernet in the
> first mile must operate over the longest reach possible.  The number of
> households and small businesses served by a node is proportional to the
> square of the reach.  For example, a reach of 3 km can serve about 100
> single-family homes per node. Doubling the reach to 6 km increases the
homes
> served per node to 400.  And with a 12 km reach, 1600 homes per node can
be
> served.  This assumes 100 percent subscribe.  At 25 percent subscription,
> short reach technology gets down to some dismal financial outlooks in
terms
> of cost per revenue producing subscriber as well forcing the construction
of
> too many street corner server nodes.
>
> Coexistence with HomePNA on the same cable pair is essential.  This
feature
> will be necessary in over 75% of households served with Integrated
Broadband