RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements [really Oregon Trail Etherloop?]

Frank,

What data rates are you able to offer when your subscribers are out to
21kft?  Do you believe that to be sufficient?  Are you offering a video
service over that access link?

Thanks,

Mark

> Fletcher,
>
> I have been trying to stay vendor neutral in this discussion.
> Per your request, here is our experience in DSL deployment utilizing
> Etherloop
> as a copper broadband solution.
>
> The following data is based upon the last two years of broadband
> provisioning
> for Oregon Trail Internet in the rural Pacific
> Northwest.  I have watched many of our competitors leave the
> DSL market
> as ADSL/SDSL has been too difficult to provision.
>
> The main advantage for us is:
>
> * The ability of Etherloop to function on challenging loops
> with bridge taps
> and gauge changes.  This is not marketing; we have hit 100%
> of our circuits,
> within 21Kft, at all of our DSLAMs with 3 different ILECs,
> without any line
> conditioning (bridge tap removal, etc) other than load coil removal.
> Depending
> on tariffs, CLECs have limited options for conditioning of
> unloaded pairs.
>
> * The ability of Etherloop to hit distance beyond ADSL and
> SDSL(even though
> Elastic
> states 21Kft, we have some customers over 23Kft).
>
> * The simplicity of utilizing Ethernet over DSL, with native
> integration
> from the DSLAM into
> our traditional IP architecture without utilization of ATM.
>
> The bottom line, to us, is that Etherloop is cost effective
> to deploy and
> provides
> ample margin to continue our broadband deployment into rural America.
> For 802.3 EFM, here is a 'best-of-breed' solution that
> currently employs
> 802.3 over copper
> to 21Kft, with near term futures of 100Mbs EFM according to
> the last 802.3
> EFM meeting
> in Portland.
>
> Frank

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer.
Thank you. Hatteras Networks, Inc.