From: Bob Barrett [mailto:bob.barrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 3:19 PM
To: Stds-802-3-Efm (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements

If it is just the last / first mile, or more likely last 400 metres in
Europe, then the business case for p2p fiber makes a lot of sense. Once
there is a wayleave, probably a trunk and a draw-string, the incemental cost
of fiber becomes less onerous. And if you are pulling fiber may as well make
it multi-strand. That makes the PON business case look a bit sick. Probably
a different story in the US where the distances are longer, simply because
buildings are bigger and further apart.

It's a bit like E1 with CCS is better (in terms of channels) than the
earlier T1 with CAS, and GSM is better than the earlier PCS ;-). It's not
always good to be first, because the second player learns from the
experiences of the first market roll-out.

Bob Barrett