RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements

I lot of comments have been made about the Shannon Capacity calculations
over the past week or so. The Shannon Capacity calculation is the foundation
of all rate v. reach calculations, but it is only the beginning. The rate
reach calculations require many variables to be entered into the capacity
equation in order to calculate the rate, and there is not a single answer.
One obvious set of variables are the background noise, which standards have
set as -140dBm/Hz, and the number and types of disturbers. Another important
variable in the equation is the directional duplexing method used. The 3
major duplexing methods in use today are full-duplex, single frequency band,
echo cancelled (EC) (such as ISDN, HDSL, HDSL2, g.shdsl), full-duplex
frequency division duplexing FDD (such as ADSL, and VDSL), and time division
duplexing (TDD)(some with centrally coordinated transmission times, such as
Japanese ISDN, or past TDD VDSL proposals, or others with independent,
dynamic transmission times and symmetry ratios, such as EtherLoop, which is
deployed today, and 100BASECu, which Elastic and others are proposing for
EFM copper PHY.)

Even after the duplexing method has been selected, other details need to be
factored in to calculate the rate, such as, what are the bandplans, PSD
levels, and what power back-off method is used, if any.

An independent SNR margin engine, based on T1.417, can be found at:

http://net3.argreenhouse.com
click on registered users
Login Name: spectral
Password: spectralxyz

for questions contact:     Ken Kerpez, Telcordia, 973-829-4747

You can use this to calculate, for instance, that the ADSL capacity, with 49
Spectrum Management Class 5 (ADSL) disturbers on 12kft of 26 AWG wire is:

522.66kpbs upstream, and 2879.62kpbs downstream, which, of course, is
greater than 1Mbps.

You can also use it to calculate that the symmetric rate for G.shdsl, with
49 self-NEXT disturbers, on 12kft of 26AWG wire is 1088kbps, again greater
than 1Mbps, but you will also note is different than the rate for ADSL.

I give the examples above to show that there is not a single "capacity
calculation" for a given loop length.

Regards,
Patrick