RE: [EFM] EFM P2MP - Discussion of higher layers

John,

I don't see anything in your examples that warrants any additions to the
standards for the protocol stack at the MAC layer or below.

OAM: your scenario is an excellent example of why you want your OAM
diagnostics/probes to send their data in a manner as close as possible to
the end-user's traffic: how are you going to check the level of service
being obtained by the user data if your probes are using a completely
different set of channels,schedulers/queues etc.????

Intellectual property: I think this is a red herring - encryption is far
better left as an end-to-end thing between the application server and the
client; authentication is usually less hard computationally but, still,
you'd want to  outsource this from any network infrastructure devices to a
separate server (see e.g. EAP, RADIUS or 802.1X). There's no way you want to
build this type of complexity into the intermediate network. It is possible
there is new work needed on authentication on shared networks in general but
I don't see anything 802.3-specific there.

Leased-line emulation: there's been a lot of theoretical and practical work
on this at IETF ("Expedited Forwarding" behaviour in Diffserv for example -
check out some of the literature from Van Jacobson and others e.g.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2598.txt,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-rfc2598bis-02.txt,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-efresolve-01.txt).
One of the simplest ways of building this is with a rate limiter at the
ingress to the network and simple priority queueing within the network. Rate
limiting and priority scheduling can be done at whatever layer you choose
but they do not need new standardisation at any particular layer. I'd
challenge you to come up with a simpler method than this for legacy service
emulation.

Andrew Smith