RE: [EFM] EFM P2MP - Discussion of higher layers

I have been watching this discussion with great interest, and everyone is
correct. I believe the market will dictate the need for a monopoly or not
and time and history gives us the clues and facts to decide.  As far as the
hooks, the silicon building blocks in the forwarding plane can provide this
information to the service provider in the control plane if needed, to
protect, service, or even invade the consumer's well being.  Does it really
matter if it is DCHP or PPoE? Does it really matter if it is copper or fiber
and where is the wireless crowd? Who for that matter even said Ethernet is
the win, might be the place or show no guarantees has been my experience.
Ethernet is mature and inexpensive so it may win, the copper is there, but
the bandwidth is not, and the fiber is coming and not fast enough.  Even as
we debate, the content and service providers are positioning, lobbying and
litigating for their piece of the pie, I believe the feeling is that email
or web hosting is not a good enough reason (read high enough margin) to
migrate to the new paradigm.  This technology touches the consumer; if you
regard the EFM as the network bit that resides from the core edge to the
consumer it needs to be more than just a new way to transport bits. What is
the compelling reason? What makes it attractive? What are the distinguishing
features?  Time to market is critical, but so are products that generate
revenue.  Sorry for the ramble it’s early here and my coffee is extra strong
this morning. Comments welcome.

Bob