RE: [EFM] OAM - Faye's seven points

Bob-

At 11:25 AM 9/18/01 +0100, Bob Barrett wrote:
Faye,

I think your re-stating these seven points is very timely. If we were at a
meeting I would suggest that we had a straw poll on each of them. I would
add an eighth i.e.

8. What kind of OAM&P traffic requires guaranteed delivery?

1) We don't do "P". We have already agreed that provisioning is declared to be outside our scope
2) There is no such thing as guaranteed delivery
3) P2P PHYs do not drop packets
4) Properly designed CSMA/CD LANs do not lose packets. At worst they try to send for awhile and if they don't get through they give up.

Geoff

Short answer: All of it.

Slight need for clarification: Bob Barrett (me) is an equipment designer,
not a service provider. I just happen to have been designing and selling
access equipment for the past ten years, rather than enterprise equipment. I
learnt about the OAM needs of my customers the hard way, by building-in what
I thought were reasonable OAM systems and then being advised that I had not
got it quite right (and they don't buy what is not quite right).
Nevertheless, I will answer the seven points as I see them, see below,

Bob Barrett

Mandatory

> 2. Link failure/status

Mandatory

> 3. CPE registration or inventory (The former is the action and the later
> is
> the results).

Some form of registration, even if it is operator driven is mandatory.
Auto registration is desirable.

> 4. Connectivity diagnose (ping etc) - This is divided into link
> connectivity which
> can be covered by 2 and subscriber line connectivity.

Mandatory for the link, up to a point as close to the subscriber interface
as possible e.g. copper loop back on the connector side of the IC, in the
last output stage of the IC (most PHY ICs support this already).

Tests to the subscriber equipment are outside of the scope of EFM, but in
real terms the service provider will probably PING something on the
subscriber network, given access rights.

> 5. Subscriber activation and deactivation (or generally referred to as
> provisioning)

Mandatory - at the level of EFM this is probably no more then turning a
subscriber port on and off, and may be changing an interface from 10M to
100M to 1GE. Anything else is above the scope of EFM I would think.

> 6. CPE maintanence (upgrade, backup ...)

Desirable - possibly an area where EFM defines a cooms channel but not the
protocol or methodology that vendors implement over it ????

> 7. Accounting information on the subscriber line - optional since some
> of
> the accounting data is actually collected at the aggregated box.

I agree that this function is not required within the CPE. However, RMON
type stats might be useful within the CPE as history for diagnostics, but
not required as a source of relable data for billing information. I think
this will be a vendor specific thing. The existing standards define what can
be done. The vendors will choose what they implement. The customers will
choose equipment that has the right balance of features and commercial terms
for them.

> This will be really helpful for the vendors that are building these
> equipements
> to justify for the need or the size of a dedicated OAM&P channel.

Sometimes as vendors we have to make inspired guesses :-).

On Sanjeev Mahalawat's point in an email to/from Faye - I think it is highly
desirable that some form of head-end proxy server is used to translate the
rather complex management requirements of the NOC NMS systems into simpler
commands for the EFM systems. And also take simple alarm and status messages
from EFM CPE and create SNMP traps and browser pages for the human
interface. Consolidating the 'presentation intelligence and processing' in a
head end proxy server shares the cost of the engine across multiple CPE
nodes. The CPE needs only a micro-controller (or less), rather than an
engine with a full IP stack. Low cost embedded JAVA processors are coming,
but they are taking their time :-).

The EFM technical point is:

'keep EFM OAM simple; vendors can implement the cleaver stuff; economically
this will probably at the head end; there is an opportunity for silicon to
do this at the CPE end, but that may take a while'.

Bob Barrett