From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Bob Barrett
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 1:04 PM
To: Faye Ly; Geoff Thompson; fkittred@xxxxxxx
Cc: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM] OAM - Faye's seven points - MAC address

Fletcher,

If the CPE is essentially a media converter / repeater (relatively dumb and
with minimal hardware) it may not need to have a MAC address in order to
support a management entity, however, a management entity and registration
would be desirable.

A MAC address is not essential to find a CPE on the end of a p2p fiber /
copper loop. The CPE is either there or not there, and there is only ever
one of them in p2p.

P2MP is a different issue and I agree that a MAC address is the logical
choice in that case, but I wouldn't want to see the inclusion of a MAC
entity made mandatory in the p2p fiber or p2p copper EFM standard.

I don't think encryption of OAM data is necessary on a p2p link if it is in
a side-band.
If OAM data is mixed in with the payload, even with VLAN, then encryption is
probably necessary.
I guess that's one of my 'pro' arguments for side band ;-).

Best regards

Bob Barrett