[EFM] RE: 1 Gbps != 999.9 Mbps

Denton,

The smart alec cop-out answer is 'not at all because that is part of the 1GE
standard'. The honest answer is that I wasn't aware of the PAUSE function,
as I am not that close to 1GE MACs. What we do with 1GE is all at the PHY.

I guess you could say that the same explanation will apply if the OAM
in-band becomes part of the standard.

But that was not the only point in my email.

Don't get me wrong, I will support in-band OAM if it can be shown to be
immune from faults or attacks originating on the users network or equipment.
Convincing my customers may be harder, but I can always design in a
proprietary side-band option on the same platform. And I will take the view
of the service providers as to what they will accept as immune. Me, I'm an
equipment producer.

Best regards

Bob