RE: [EFM] 1 Gbps != 999.9 Mbps (resend)

Roy -

The answer to your question, as to how an 802.3 repeater/hub can be part of
a manageable system without any 802.1 functionality in that system (by
which I assume you mean without a Bridge function in the box), is "very
easily".

The logical model is of a system that contains an 802.3 hub that has one
internal port and N external ports, packaged along with an internal "end
station" that does the management (i.e., responds to incoming management
requests & returns the appropriate responses), using a conventional SNMP
stack, or whatever, for its management communication. This "end station" is
attached to the internal hub port via an 802.3 MAC.  Note that, from the
hub's point of view (if it can be thought of as having a point of view),
the management "end station" looks like any other 802.3 end system that
might be attached to its other external ports; in other words, the
management "end station" is not part of the hub as such, and plays no part
in the functionality of the hub itself, other than as a consequence of the
management operations it might be asked to perform.

Regards,
Tony