From: Bob Barrett [mailto:bob.barrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 12:24 PM
To: O'Mahony, Barry; 'stds-802-3-efm'
Subject: RE: [EFM] 1 Gbps != 999.9 Mbps

Barry

Very good points.

What I was trying to do by raising this issue was get a debate going, and I
seem to have achieved that.

We Brits are renown for compromise, and what EFM needs (imho) is a
compromise from the carrier types on the rigid requirement that _all_ OAM
must be side band, and a compromise from the LAN types that _none_ of the
OAM functions need to be side band.

Again - imho - some of the basic parameters need to be side band, however,
most of the detailed config. parameters should be in-band and don't fall
within the scope of EFM (most equipment is implemented like this already via
SNMP, why re-invent the wheel ?).

The un-invented wheel is carrier class PHY layer management for EFM, really
basic stuff like monitoring the interface condition at the PHY layer within
the CPE, specifically for optical p2p and p2mp EFM.

Note - we don't need to compromise the quick to market and low cost
'leverage the silicon' argument by taking both the in-band and the side-band
approach in p2p, and that is my main focus. Side band might mean tweaks to
the MAC PHY boundary in a few ASICs,

.....but then I don't use ASICs :-).

I agree that all the detailed isochronous circuit stuff is vendor specific
or within ietf territory, definitely not 802.3.

Thank you

Bob Barrett