RE: [EFM] Network timing, ATM, ADSL/VDSL and EFM

Ariel,

It is interesting that you are calling "in-band" to the customer data, what
most people consider to be "out-of-band" management overhead. T1 framing is
equivalent to the 8b10b coding used by Fibre Channel and GbE.  Is the 8b10b
coding of GbE "in band" to the MAC framing?  T1 framing  just so happens to
be time synchronous with the functionality that you refer to.  It gives
North American service providers the ability to remotely manage and do
performance monitoring on the physical link in the last/first mile of
existing subscription network services.  This is very critical for
businesses services that require and have the ability to pay for services
that justify deploying support infrastructure technology.

A 56k circuit is a T0, not a T1 and it does not have T1 framing.  The
difference between a T1 and E1 is more related to the basic bandwidth
allocation.  A basic T1 is ~1.5 Mb.  A basic E1 is ~2 Mb.  There is more
bandwidth in an SDH E1.  That is the reason that a 64Kb service is
available in SDH and not for SONET.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum