[EFM] RE: [EFM-Copper] Copper schedule in LAX (and beyond...)

All,

Current NEXT and FEXT models are based on measurements
by a large number of groups, but do not take into account the
high-frequency effects in those existing measurements.  In attempt
to aid the progress, there is a contribution in Los Angeles (will
be presented by Stanford PhD student Jeannie Fang) that provides
an augmentation to those models that could serve as an intermediate
step.  It fits measurements reasonable well and reduces to the old
models when high-frequencies are not used.  This was posted to
the exploder about 1 month ago with only positive feedback so far.

Hopefully this can help with 802.3's diligence in doing a good job while
moving at pace consistent with opportunity and market.

Sincerely,

John Cioffi

At 11:09 AM 10/16/2001 -0400, Stanley, Patrick wrote:

>Vladimir,
>
>I agree. You bring up a good point. As I state in my presentation that I
>will make this week, the NEXT and FEXT models currently used in the
>standards are based on a large number of measurements (>90,000). Reproducing
>this level of measurement in order to replace the models is a substantial
>amount of work, and could slow down development of the standard.
>
>Regards,
>Patrick

John M. Cioffi
363 Packard Electrical Engineering Bldg.
350 Serra Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-9515
+1-650-723-2150  Fax: +1-650-724-3652
cioffi@xxxxxxxxxxxx