Re: [EFM] RE: [EFM-Copper] Copper schedule in LAX (andbeyond...)

Behrooz,

    getting an agreement on noise models and loop characteristics for
performance evaluation doesn't necessarily mean we need to vote for the line
code. As a matter of fact, we got these agreements in Europe and US and still
don't plan to pick the line code right now. Also, different line codes we keep
in mind give almost the same performance just because they all are QAM. The
difference is mostly in duplexing and implementation issues. The latter maybe
requires some more field experience (despite Etherloop, 10Base-S, ADSL, TDD VDSL
and SCM VDSL already has a good one). The first, I think, might be selected
rather soon. We got requirements and need to see how to accomplish them. We need
a simulation environment agreed.

      Another possibility is to leave physical layer to Q1/03 and move to
TPS-TC, Layer 2/Layer 3. Fine with me as well. The same thing is the 4 ADSL case
- this idea also doesn't require to specify anything for physical layer. We use
what is done and go straight to Layer 2 and 3, as Mark Kimpe is proposing. It
will be not easy both to find 4 pairs to the same residence and to pay $20 per
pair before the service starts, but if service providers like that, I like that
either.
The small point is, I have got a concern that 4 ADSL lines will ever give 10
Mb/s symmetric for 12 kft; seems even 5 Mb/s is very difficult to accomplish
using "conventional" means. But this is really small.

Vladimir.