[EFM] Re: A note a about copper loops

All,

On Behrooz' comment below to contact Stanford on
the Copper Conference -- we have a few of the hardbound
copies of the conference left over.  We under anticipated the
interest.  If you act now, and write Ms. Joice DeBolt
at joice@xxxxxxxxxxxx  with a credit card number, you may be
able to get one of the remaining books for $115.  We promised
authors that electronic copies would not be made available.
In any case, Joice handled the conference administration
and can help anyone get one of the remaining
books that contain the statistics and information mentioned below.

(I hope no one considers this a solicitation -- Stanford is a nonprofit
organization and we are lucky if we break even on such conferences,
registration was free and the $115 just covered copy costs.)

John Cioffi

At 12:45 AM 10/26/2001 -0700, Behrooz Rezvani wrote:
>In a conference that was held just a week ago at Stanford there were two
>good talks by George Hawley (former head transmission group at Bell labs,
>and formerly a GM at Bellcore) and Jim Sackman (CTO AFC a leading DLC
>company) regarding loop statistics:
>
>1. The loop survey of 1983 was only for lines from central offices
>2. By year 2004 the number of lines from DLCs will exceed all the lines from
>CO
>3. 95% of lines in Bell South territory is under 12 kft(AWG-24)
>4. DLC-RTs vary in size and the area of coverage.(48 lines to 10,000 lines)
>typical densities are about 600 lines. serving primarily POTS, and moving to
>ADSL or xDSL like. Bridge taps are generally found on longer loops,
>specially from CO
>5. POTS are going primary source of income for RBOCs followed by data and
>video
>6. DLCs and mid range CSA rules was signed off in 1980
>
>-------------
>Other good talks included our owns Howard's. EEtimes had a report on the
>conference. The information about the speakers can be found at
>www.ikanos.com . I believe Prof. Cioffi of Stanford has the conference
>proceeding available ($$).
>
>Behrooz

John M. Cioffi
363 Packard Electrical Engineering Bldg.
350 Serra Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-9515
+1-650-723-2150  Fax: +1-650-724-3652
cioffi@xxxxxxxxxxxx