[EFM] RE: [EFM-Copper] A note a about copper loops

Behrooz,

Please note that the referenced BellSouth Loop survey (and the Telcordia
survey in the TIA document)included both DLCs, and COs. Also, bridged taps
are most frequently found on the customer end of the loop (for instance,
when a binder is running down the street, the drop cable is spliced in,
without cutting the distribution pair), so the frequency of occurrence is
independent of whether the origin is a CO or a DLC.

The draft TIA standard is still under development, with the referenced draft
dated 2001, therefore the projected loop length statistics were developed
after the announcement of project Pronto.

The goal of Project Pronto is to add DLCs in order to bring 80% of the
customers within 12kft, 26 AWG (15kft 24AWG), not 100% within 12kft 24AWG.
Unfortunately, SBC just announced that the project, whose completion
objective was already pushed from 2002 to 2003, is being reevaluated, based
on current economic conditions
(http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/1023sbc.html).

There is no denying the fact that shorter loops give higher bandwidth. By
the same token, fiber to the home gives even better bandwidths.  Longer
reach objectives for EFM over copper would allow universal coverage to be
offered until such time as the fiber plant can be built out closer to the
end user.

Best Regards,
Patrick