Re: [EFM] FW: IEEE802.3 EFM Process

All,

This thread seems to be heading into very dangerous areas.

I'll try to address the comments in order:

Dolors suggests that we should focus first on 802.3 specific requirements
(clause 31B and 43) - specifically the question of whether compliance is
required. There is some room for debate here since the standards are defined for
point-to-point, not shared media.

Larry goes further to suggest that we should focus on our "EFM objectives" even
if this takes us outside the scope of 802.3. At this point I must disagree
strongly! We are a sub-group of 802.3, there is never any doubt that we come
under their auspices. The requirement of "compliance to 802.3" takes precedence
over any other objective or requirement. Period.

Richard goes just a little further, suggesting that a "compliant baseline" is
desirable but not mandatory and that compliance with 802.X is a good "check box"
item but not gating. I must disagree with this even more strongly as the
hierarchical nature of the organization forces 802.3 to comply with 802 just as
we (802.3ah) comply with 802.3.

John's comments are non sequitor to this discussion (although still valid).
There is nothing to prevent us complying with other standards alongside 802.3. I
think it's worth starting that discussion as a separate thread.

To summarize:

1. There is no possible way that we can write a standard for 802.3ah that does
not comply with 802.3 (& thus 802). Just from a practical perspective - how
would you edit a few clauses of a document in such a way that it is not
compliant with the document as a whole?

2. It is a free country! If you wish to form a new subgroup of 802 then you are
welcome to try. A new sub-group (say 802.19) would not carry any of the burden
of 802.3. By all means go ahead and do that - don't try to move 802.3ah into a
different group through an underground passage.

Similarly, if 802.X is too restrictive then there is nothing preventing a new
standard from being developed within any existing or yet-to-be-created standards
body. There are many fine examples of that ranging from industry consortia (such
as BlueTooth, DOCSIS, HPNA, FSAN) to other ANSI or ISO accredited standards
organizations (such as ANSI T1, ETSI TM6, ITU-T, IETF).

3. If there is massive support for an external body standardizing EFM, then it
will effect our "broad market potential" criteria. It is always possible that
802.3ah may be unsuccessful - we could fail to produce a new standard for one or
more of the objectives, we could produce the standard but get marginalized by
other industry movements. That's life! it has happened in the past (to numerous
802.3 & 802.X) standards, we must strive for success but accept that failure is
a risk.

In the meantime, in the context of any discussion regarding 802.3ah, please do
not consider any possibility that we would not be compliant with 802.X or 802.3.

With regards,

Hugh.