Re: [EFM] EFM OAM on Preamble

Hiroshi,

I agree this should only be done in full duplex and is not
a concern with 10GE.

Hiroshi Suzuki wrote:

>   We have 2 options for this.
>   a) Not to use this byte. This means we  have only 6byte preamble (
> including SFD byte.) to carry OAM.
>       Since we have 2 reserved byte, still OK with it. This actually was
> discussed  off-line last week.

The receiver doesn't know if the first byte was discarded
so a protocol would have to look something like this:

TX: 55 55 OAM1 OAM2 RES1 PHY1 PHY2 CRC

The receiver would get one of these and would have to know
how to deal with either, i.e., it needs to see 55 in both
the 2nd AND 3rd bytes to know that this is a regular
preamble and not an OAM preamble:

RX1: 55 55 OAM1 OAM2 RES1 PHY1 PHY2 CRC
RX2: 55 OAM1 OAM2 RES1 PHY1 PHY2 CRC

>   b) PCS recovers /S/+7byte preamble ( including SFD byte ), when Unaligned
> case.
>       This is simply done by having additional 3-4 byte FIFO in PCS.
>   We will discuss about these options  in detail in Jan meeting.

I guess I'll wait for January to hear about this...

Regards,
Ben

--
Benjamin Brown