From: carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2001 12:21 PM
To: Crick, Bill [CAR:1A00:EXCH]
Cc: 'Horne, David M'; 'Angeloni Cesare, IT';
'stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@ieee.org'; 'stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org'
Subject: Re: [EFM-P2MP] RE: EDMA R-PON

Bill,

I think that the performance of the entire system would depend on two
factors:

- the actual physical topology of the network, as you've pointed out.
- the order of transmission.

Thinking as a carrier, I believe that it does make sense to deploy
splitters closer to the customer. If I was to put splitters at the core of
the network, I believe that the much simpler P2P Ethernet is a better
choice. So it minimizes the problem #1.

Also, thinking about *real* networks, it highly probable that we'll have
clusters of customers relatively close together. By cleverly ordering the
transmission sequence, one can minimize the delay. I don't have any actual
data to back this, but it's actually pretty intuitive, and fairly easy to
check with some simulations.

Carlos Ribeiro
CTBC Telecom