RE: [EFM] Is "campus" P2MP out of scope

I think these are some of the questions that will be addressed by those
folks supporting 100M at the next meeting, where the expectation is that
there will be a justification of the 5 criteria to show technical and
economic justification among other things.  As Ulf was still soliciting
supporters just last week, I doubt that the presentation is ready just
yet.
I don't think its required to show the differences in equipment types,
but rather justification for the development of new PHYs - what
equipment things go in is a little outside the scope of the IEEE, and
requiring different equipment isn't always seen as the best thing.

Technical justification for a new 100M PHY is easy - its the same as the
1G case - extended temperature, distance objectives, single mode, etc.
Look at the 1G solution and replace 1000M with 100M.  I think the only
question in peoples minds is the economic justification of 100M versus
1G solutions.  I'd like to give the 100M supporters a chance to develop
this aspect of the proposal, and I'm sure we'll all have a chance to
look at it by January.

- Matt

--

Matt Squire
Hatteras Networks
mattsquire@xxxxxxx, msquire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
begin:vcard
n:Squire;Matt
tel;cell:919-931-3906
tel;fax:919-991-0731
tel;work:919-991-5460
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.hatterasnetworks.com
org:Hatteras Networks
adr:;;639 Davis Drive;Durham;NC;27713;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:mattsquire@xxxxxxx,msquire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:CTO
fn:Matt Squire