[EFM] [Forecasts on 1 GE from NW]

EFMers
The attached Network World article has pushed me to make a case for why we should not waste our time on a 100M PHY effort.  I will be the first to rail on the point that 1 GE chips in the enterprise environment will be severely stressed in the -20 to +85  degree C. environment of a residential demarc installation in the USA.   However, my ex brethren from the semiconductor industry tell me that they can now yield PLL chips to work over that temp with a minimum of problems and I must trust them until we prove differently.  Anybody in the Southwest or Canada (or anywhere else for that matter) having problems with their Electronically Tuned Radios at extreme temps?
Optics for 1310 1 GE in this environment may be a different story, but I don't see a major difference in that challenge between 100M and 1 G.
I still see HDTV at 1080p as the "killer application" for this standard as I have recently seen a 38.57M simulated HDTV transmission which will be the expectation starting in the sport bars and then moving into the home.  To me, that means more than 100Mb/s to each home within the next five years because many homes will want to watch more than 1 channel of HDTV at any one time (see my presentation to the 3/01 meeting on the w-site -brand_1_0301.pdf)
Feedback?
Richard Brand

NETWORK WORLD NEWSLETTER: JEFF CARUSO
on HIGH-SPEED LANS
11/29/01 - Today's focus: The last upgrade

Dear Richard Brand,

In this issue:

* Why we're stuck with Gigabit Ethernet
* Links related to high-speed LANs
* Featured reader resource

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE

If you're looking for a gift for that special network
executive, or if you're a network executive looking for gifts
for your family or friends, odds are we've played with, errr,
tested a device that could do the trick. Check out our Holiday
Gift Guide to help make this year's shopping easier!
http://nww1.com/go/ad206.html

Today's focus: The last upgrade

By Jeff Caruso

I've argued against using Gigabit Ethernet for desktop
connections - but in the end it doesn't matter, because within
a few years Gigabit Ethernet will be standard.

Readers have sent me e-mail (thank you!) pointing out that it's
really not practical today to install Gigabit Ethernet to the
desktop, as it remains more expensive than 10/100M bit/sec
Ethernet and many users would require upgraded switches and
network interface cards.

But I think that in a few years the price of 10/100/1000M
bit/sec Ethernet equipment will get to those affordable levels.
Just as we moved from 10M bit/sec to 10/100M bit/sec because
the price difference between the two evaporated, the move to
10/100/1000M bit/sec is already in the works.

Recently, Network World's Phil Hochmuth wrote about Gigabit
Ethernet gear costing as low as $90 per port:

http://www.nwfusion.com/archive/2001/127651_11-26-2001.html

Plus, our reviews department took a look at Gigabit Ethernet
switches for small offices, evaluating them on factors like
ease of installation and performance:
http://www.nwfusion.com/reviews/2001/1126rev.html

Again, the performance doesn't come close to "gigabit" rates,
as in the tests I pointed out last week:
http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/lans/2001/01114313.html

But eventually (and this is a few years from now), from a
desktop perspective "Gigabit Ethernet" becomes simply the
standard link over which you get the most throughput possible
on Category-5 copper wiring. In other words, everyone will use
it for their copper connections and get what bandwidth they can
from it.

Given that this will be much more bandwidth than PCs will be
able to fully use for some time to come - and given that the
only way to get more speed (as far as we know) is to take on
the huge task of upgrading to fiber - this is going to be our
last desktop upgrade for a long, long time.

To contact Jeff Caruso:

In addition to writing this newsletter, Jeff Caruso edits
Network World's e-mail newsletters from his office in
San Mateo, Calif. If you would like to make suggestions
about newsletter format or content, or even just express
your opinion on today's topic, you can reach Jeff at
mailto:jcaruso@xxxxxxx.
Get your wireless service from the carrier ranked #1 by Forbes
magazine.  Now get Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes, plus up
to $165 in savings when you activate on select calling plans
and purchase a Nokia 3360 or 8260 from AT&T Wireless. To learn
more go to http://www.nww1.com/go/ad207.html
RELATED EDITORIAL LINKS

Archive of the LAN newsletter:
http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/lans/index.html
FEATURED READER RESOURCE

YOUR TAKE: State Department CIO Burbano revamps network in time
of war

New from Network World is our "Your Take" series. In this
series, we conduct in-dept interviews with top network IT
executives and share their experiences. First in this series,
Network World Senior Editor Carolyn Duffy Marsan interviewed
CIO Fernando Burbano about the status of the State Department's
network upgrade, how it's changed since Sept. 11 and his advice
regarding network security.
http://www.nwfusion.com/yourtake/2001/1029burbano.html

To change your e-mail address, go to:
http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/news/scripts/changeemail.asp

Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to
this message.

Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor,
at: mailto:jcaruso@xxxxxxx

For advertising information, write Jamie Kalbach, Director of
Online Sales, at: mailto:jkalbach@xxxxxxx

Copyright Network World, Inc., 2001

------------------------
This message was sent to:  rbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

begin:vcard
n:Brand;Richard C.
tel;work:408 495 2462
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Advanced Technology Investments;Nortel Networks (408) 495 2462
version:2.1
email;internet:rbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Director, Network Architecture & Applications
fn:Richard C. Brand
end:vcard