Re: [EFM] Half-duplex deferral for MAC-PHY rate matching and compatibility with existing silicon

Steven,

While I understand your concern over the "limitation" of 100Mbps half-duplex, I don't agree with your conclusion or even your definition of the problem.

Firstly regarding pause frames:

1. I believe that fewer existing MAC implementations will support pause frames than will support the "receive while transmit" that Shimon pointed out in the standard.

2. If you do use pause frames you will break the architectural division that expects PHYs to transmit frames - not source them.

3. You will have problems supporting the pause frame function between MACs (as it was intended) above your PHY layer implementation. Thus you will have taken 2 MACs that support .3x and taken away that function to make the PHYs work.

Secondly regarding the problem:

1. The difference between 100-half and hundred full is not as great as you seem to make out. For instance if you are aggregating standard VDSL links your downstream will exceed 100Mbps almost immediately after your aggregate exceeds 100Mbps - thus the extra bandwidth gained by full duplex is <20Mbps.

2. If you take a standard VDSL symmetric rate of 26/26, the payload rate is <25Mbps (somewhere around 23Mbps). In that case you can aggregate 4 lines using 100-half; 8 lines using 100-full; >8 lines using Gig. I think that 4 lines will be a sweet spot, above that it may be 24 lines as the next sweetspot.

3. If you have a "super PHY" capable of aggregating many high-speed links, you should consider using GMII.

Hugh.