[EFM] Presentations are on the web

Dear Members of the IEEE 802.3ah EFM Task Force,

The presentation materials for our upcoming meeting are
now on our web site at:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/efm/public/jan02/index.html

Please download the files prior to the meeting, as we
will not be distributing any hard copies at the meeting.
If you are stuck behind a dial-up line, have no fear, we
will pass around CDROMs and flash memory cards at the meeting,
as usual.

The following files are known to be missing at this time:

minutes_01_2002.pdf
objectives_2_0102.pdf
squire_2_0102.pdf
ITU-TSG15LiaisonResponse.pdf
piehler_1_0102.pdf

Please plan on all of us meeting together on Monday morning,
January 14th. We will break into three tracks after lunch
on Monday: P2MP (aka PON), Optics, and Copper. On Tuesday,
the P2MP and Optics groups will meet together, while Copper
and OAM each hold break out sessions. PON, Optics and Copper
breakouts will be held again on Wednesday morning, with a
task force closing session on Wednesday afternoon.

I expect that this meeting will entail some lively debate.
We are rapidly approaching the milestone where we must select
our suite of baseline proposals, which means that this meeting
is the time for serious deliberation.

To lead off the discussions, you will see that I made a
departure from the normally dry (that is, dull) content
in the Agenda and General Information slide deck.  The
last few slides address an issue which is sure to be the
subject of considerable controversy.  As you may recall,
we (the 802.3ah Task Force) adopted 3 new objectives for
our work on twisted pair copper PMDs at our last meeting
in Austin. These objectives were presented in the closing
plenary session of the 802.3 Working Group (our parent
committee) and they did not go over well, to say the least.

I had an action item to rework the objectives into a more
palatable form, and in the course of doing so, I formulated
a set of three objectives for our work on copper PMDs. Please
review this material before the meeting.  We will doubtless
spend a lot of time chewing on it.

I look forward to seeing you in Raleigh!

Howard Frazier
Chair, IEEE 802.3ah EFM Task Force