RE: [EFM] p2mp carrier requirements

Bob,

I would add that the ability to bill for services is based being able to
meter the services (turn it on or off) and the ability to measure it if it
is not already delivered on a "fixed" logical or physical
facility.  Metering services is very simple for the more deterministic
delivery facilities.  Being able to "measure" services, from a customer
viewpoint as well as a service provider viewpoint, is the issue that is
driving  flat rate billing into becoming more popular for the
"commoditized" services.

I would also add another question into evaluation of "broad market
potential".  What kind of services can be delivered over a deterministic
delivery facility versus a statistical gain based delivery
facility?  Should this question be  a new thread for discussion on the
reflector, or should it be a subject of a presentation at the next TF meeting?

There is also a component that is often not included in the "mix" when
evaluating potential "success" of a service and/or deployment technology,
"overall cost of ownership".  The overall cost of ownership includes not
just the capital cost of the equipment, inside plant, outside plant, etc,
but also the operations service systems (OSS), other back office systems,
and the support labor costs that it takes to support the service such that
customers will be willing to pay for it.  The OSS, back office, and
operations labor support costs are often "hidden" and difficult to
"quantify".  I have seen the adage "I have never seen something made more
complicated and less expensive at the same time" apply to these hidden
costs of ownership.  This adage would tend to also favor the "fixed"
facility model with deterministic delivery because it has less complicated
OSS, back office, and operational labor issues.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum