From: carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 11:20 AM
To: Geoff Thompson
Cc: bob.barrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; mattsquire@xxxxxxx;
stds-802-3-efm-oam@ieee.org; stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM-OAM] Performance monitoring, installation, trouble
shooting.

Geoff,

Thanks for your comments. Just to make my point clear: I was not
requesting, or even defending, that EFM should explicitly support QoS, or
synchronous services, or anything similar. I was concerned about the way we
are discussing requirements. In my opinion, we can't even start discussing
specific technical requirements if we dont have a thorough understanding of
the service requirements. I've been insisting on this position for a long
time, for one very important reason: it's fundamental to understand the
application before we start discussing technical details.

I'm not the only carrier representative tracking these email reflectors.
While as a group we diverge on a lot of things (for example: maximum loop
lengths), we (mostly) agree on other things, namely in the fact that we
expect EFM to provide a common framework for the access network, supporting
not only data services, but also voice and video. There are many different
ways to support these applications, ranging from explicit support to the
assumption that the upper layers (read IP) will take care of this.

The actual requirements for OAM depend on two questions, both still pending
discussion:

Q1. what are services directly supported by EFM;
Q2. what is the typical business model for EFM deployment.

The answers for these questions are by no means absolute: every SP will
give you a different answer. Even then, it's possible to understand the
main applications we (service providers) foresee for EFM, and then proceed
with the technical requirements.

Thanks again, and best regards.

Carlos Ribeiro
CTBC Telecom