From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of O'Mahony,
Barry
Sent: 24 January 2002 21:41
To: 'FEffenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'; rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Chou, Joey
Cc: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM] On the Worship of Speed

Just to play devil's advocate here, the fastest growing segment of the
telephony market, namely mobile telephony, apparently has little trouble
selling in service to customers, despite long, "poor" latency.

Of course the argument goes that the "advantage factor" of mobility
counteracts the reduction on perceived voice qulaity in people's minds.
Maybe so.  But I bring it up to point out that there is some quesiton, in
some quarters, as to how well a test subject's responses in a MOS testing
scenario correlate to what they're actually willing to pay for.

Barry O'Mahony
Intel Labs
Hillsboro, OR, USA
tel: +1 (503) 264-8579