From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Hans
Mickelsson (ERA)
Sent: 25 January 2002 10:02
To: 'Bob Barrett'; O'Mahony, Barry; FEffenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Chou, Joey; Thomas
Kallstenius (ERA)
Cc: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM] On cost benefit

The support for synch will opening a new part of the access market, namely
the radio access networks that are used to connect base stations to higher
nodes. Today they rely on highly synchronous SONET/SDH links, therefore a
synchronous Ethernet link fulfilling the demands of SONET/SDH timing
requirements is necessary for these applications. Keep in mind that it is
strict legal demands on frequency stability radio antennas and this
stability relates to the accuracy of clocks in the fixed network (that, in
this case, will transported over Ethernet links).

	HANS