Re: [EFM] OAM transport & ITU

All,

My name is Hiroshi Ohta with NTT.  I am a rapporteur for Q.3/13 of ITU-T SG13.

ITU-T SG13 initiated the work on OAM and protection switching for
Ethernet.  Attached is a communication letter to be sent to IEEE EFM and
RPR containing study issues which we identified at the last meeting.

It was identified in the SG13 meeting last week in Geneva that end-to-end
OAM functions are necessary for carriers/providers to provide services
using optical Ethernet because they need to detect defects before the user
complains.  We were aware that OAM for access network of 1G Ethernet is
under standardization within EFM.  However, we were not aware of any work
for end-to-end OAM functions for Ethernet or OAM for core/metro network of
Ethernet.  So, we decided to initiate this work.

We would like to progress this work with close cooperation with
you.  Comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Hiroshi Ohta

>At 09:46 02/02/07 -0800, Richard Brand wrote:
> >
> > Matt:
> > I assume that you are aware that an Ethernet OAM study was initiated in
> > ITU-T SG13 last week in Geneva, based on a contribution from NTT.  I would
> > hope that our EFM attendees from NTT would provide 802.3 a copy of the
> > presentation along with some background information.
> > Howard, have you seen the presentation?
> > Richard Brand

letter.doc

Hiroshi OHTA
NTT Network Service Systems Laboratories
Tel: +81 422 59 3617
Fax: +81 422 59 3782
E-mail: ohta.hiroshi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx