Re: [EFM] RE: [EFM-P2MP] 10G EPONs (it was MPCP: Report message)

Carlos,

In the asymmetric versus symmetric bandwidth for Internet access and any
other type of interactive communications, I would come down on the
symmetric side of the argument.  I would however point out that Internet
access is often as much as a 400 to 1 statistical gain environment.  It has
to be that way in order for the bandwidth to be solvent at the commodity
prices that it is going for.  That kind of statistical gain 400/1 does not
work well in a symmetrical service, particularly during busy hour
usage.  The gain factor for interactive "Internet" type bandwidth services
has to change, but that means the overall cost to the customer has to
change as well.

There is a way out of this impossible paradox of needing to provide a
service in order to gain customers, but unable to make the service pay for
itself.  That is to be able to provide other services, such as high
bandwidth video content, to the same customer over a common
infrastructure.  This allows the infrastructure costs for the service
facilities to be shared by multiple services.  It also improves the "take
rate" for the one or more of the services over that common infrastructure,
which has an additional economic benefit.  This requires an infrastructure
that can support unidirectional service facilities as well as symmetrical
bidirectional service facilities.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum