From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Roy Bynum
Sent: 24 February 2002 22:07
To: bob.barrett@fiberintheloop.com; stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org;
stds-802-3-efm-oam@ieee.org
Cc: owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@majordomo.ieee.org;
owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2p@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM] Re: Loopback and BERT

Bob,

One function that was always part of BERT testing when I was working in
field operations was the deliberate introduction of errors in the encoded
data stream to be sure that the customer premise equipment was properly
able to detect errors.  This is part of the originating conformance
testing, and part of the conformance testing that was done after a
repair.  I do not think that your "loop back plug" would qualify for that
level of conformance BERT testing.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum