RE: [EFM] Cable plant question

Hi Vipul,
Thank you for posing the question to operators.

SBC uses SC/UPC connectors in all the 13 states for new systems and new
fiber crossconnect arrangements.  We do have legacy cables with ST that are
in use. We even have a few Biconic used for older asynchronous systems in
use on the older cables. However, in the effort to reduce costs, SC/UPC is
the connector in the central offices for the future at this time.

SBC would be given a large operational burden to replace UPC connectors with
APC polish connectors. Requiring APC moves cost to the operator in some
cases and especially in this case. Systems specified today by our company
are required to have SC/UPC and are required to operate over such a fiber
plant created by SC/UPC. Our fiber panels and CO jumpers are much easier to
maintain if only one type is universal, plug we get some real good volume
pricing with this strategy.

New systems that are more sensitive to reflections like OC-192 and analog
video may need either proper field methods to sustain higher return loss
with UPC or require APC type connectors. SBC will try to maintain a single
type of connector/polish going forward until proven otherwise technically.
Studies are underway to assess how our field people can clean and measure
return loss to ensure a certain ORL or point reflectance is maintained over
time. Systems up to this point in time were very robust to return loss
degradation, so UPC has been acceptable as an SBC Method.

IEEE EFM should specify systems at rates of one Gigabit and below to operate
nominally under optical return loss near -20 dB to allow flexible use of
existing plant,  not just a pristine plant measured and verified to sustain
-32 dB. This would allow use of older cables and connectors without
transmission issues from reflections.  OC-48 systems operate on our legacy
plant and that is twice the rate of Gigabit Ethernet.

Bottomline: Don't force operators to shift to APC for carrying digital
content at Gigabit or lower rates. SBC does not want the burden of
maintaining -32 dB or better ORL as a precondition to equipment working
especially when we know other types of transport does work more robustly at
these speeds.

-Kent