[EFM] RE: Adding a new Clause "OAM in 802.3"

Sanjeev,

I truly wish it was so simple, but it is not.  802.3 is not a collection of
efforts; it is a living document that grows and changes over time.  Adding
any OAM functions into 802.3 will involve opening existing 802.3 clauses,
just as 802.3ae had to open Clause 4 to add the capability of IPG extension
for WAN PHY mode, Clause 1 to add definitions, references and abbreviations,
and Clause 30 to add the MIBs.  It is very rare that an 802.3 standards
effort is able to just add new clauses.  I haven't seen that happen in the
time I've been involved with 802.3.  When they first did 802.3, they
probably had that luxury. :-)

Thanks,
Brad