Re: [EFM] Re: OAM Transport Proposal

Matt,

I agree with your viewpoints on minor issues 1:5 except for the part
where you say that OAM in Preamble is PHY specific. OAM in Preamble is
architected to be PHY independent. It is architected to apply to as many
optical and copper PHYs as possible while simultaneously being very
"close" to the PHY for performance reasons.

On the major issue 6, I have the following comment:

6) Null/dummy frames bad in general: I believe that the problem here is
that there is a perception that an OAMinP null frame acts like a frame,
which it does not. It's simply an 8-byte OAM data entity sent during IPG
in the absence of Packets. The entity never gets to the
MAC, so it cannot be mistaken for an Ethernet frame or packet. The
8-byte entity has the same format as the OAM preamble sent along with an
Ethernet packet for reasons of architectural simplicity. Perhaps
changing the name to OAM IPG report or something like that is far more
appropriate than null frame.

Best Regards,
Rich