Re: [EFM] RE: OAM Proposals - a ping by any other name

Roy,

I sincerely thank you for the excellent educational material. Let's get
cracking on EFM OAM now.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Rich,
>
> There are two structures of what is and is not part of the customer payload
> bandwidth.  Leased Circuit services have one definition and implementation
> standard.  Packet services have an entirely different definition and
> implementation standard.  My perception is that you are applying the Packet
> services definition and implementation standard to everything.
>
> For packet services, only the datagram content of the customers data is
> considered to belong to the customer.  The contents of the datagram headers
> can be modified by service provider as needed relative to the services
> definition and implementation standard.  Also, and bits in the un-encoded
> data stream that are not customer datagram can be used by the service
> provider as needed, often as service management traffic.  In this services
> application, the IPG, Preamble, SFD can be considered and not belonging to
> the customer payload bandwidth.  Of course, this will require a
> redefinition of what is and is not paid for by customers when it comes to
> selling this service to customers.  A GbE service can may not be able to
> charged for at a 1000Mbps rate.  It gets real complicated sometimes.  Take
> a look at Frame Relay service implementations and practices.
>
> The standard for Leased Circuit services (often called "Private Line") is
> very different from Packet services.  Every bit that is encoded with the
> customer datagram is part of the customer payload bandwidth.  The standard
> states that the customer has exclusive use of the "circuit", which also
> includes the encoding of the customer data.
>
> I believe that there may also be a confusion about what is and is not part
> of the data link function from a data transmission services standards
> viewpoint.  The encoding of the customer data, not the content of the
> encoding, not the frames only within the encoding, is part of the data link
> layer function of a data transmission service.  I repeat, the encoding of
> the customer data is a data link layer function from a data transmission
> service standards viewpoint.  That means from the standards that the
> service providers put in place and use as a basis for the leased service
> (Private Line) service contracts, the encoding of the customer data is part
> of the customer payload bandwidth.  That means that the IPG, Preamble,SFD,
> and the Frames, all of which are defined as being part of Ethernet
> bandwidth, are all part of the customer payload bandwidth.
>
> To use as an example, for leased circuit services, except at the customer
> end points, the Path Payload is not un-encoded all of the way through a
> SONET transmission network.  The Line, Section overheads are encoded
> separately from the Path Payload and overhead, and the Path Payload and
> overhead are maintained separately because in current usage, the Path
> Payload generally has a B8ZS encoding and the overhead does not.  The B8ZS
> [...]

Richard Taborek Sr.                     Intel Corporation
XAUI Sherpa                    Intel Communications Group
3101 Jay Street, Suite 110    Optical Strategic Marketing
Santa Clara, CA 95054           Santa Clara Design Center
408-496-3423                                     JAY1-101
Cell: 408-832-3957          mailto:rich.taborek@xxxxxxxxx
Fax: 408-486-9783                    http://www.intel.com