Re: [EFM] Interesting headline / copper / ITU-T specs

Thank you, Bob,

      this explanation helps to understand how "non-copper" people see the
issue. I mostly agree with your arguments. Regarding new coding schemes, several
modern (turbo-coding, LDPC, and come else) have been actively studied in ITU to
enhance the current ADSL performance. Neither one was accepted, in my opinion
mostly because the improvement they bring is rather small (another 1.5-3 dB of
coding gain depending on the noise conditions) but require very significant
raise of complexity. We are rather close to the theoretical capacity bound, so
all these coding and technology improvements, whatever they are, will not
increase the distances by more than about 10%, I think. Another issue is
crosstalk compensation techniques. Here we can improve the distance more
substantially, and overcome some spectral compatibility issues, however special
conditions are required to implement these algorithms, plus complexity and
latency. Intensive study of these techniques (which are actually also not new)
is going now under Dynamic Spectral Management (DSM) project in T1E1.4.

Vladimir