Re: [EFM] Clarification of Copper Objective

Howard,

Because of having to spend time with the OAM track, I have not spent a lot
of time in the copper track.  Coming from a service provider environment, I
see two separate and distinct deployment markets for Ethernet over
copper.  One is high bandwidth (10Mbps) support for business customers in
multi-tenant buildings and in business parks.  There is also a backlog
demand for low bandwidth (< 1Mbps) residential broadband connectivity
through Ethernet over long reach copper local loop facilities.
While the business services market is large, the resident market is
potentially MASSIVE.  Over a period of years both of these markets should
increase their bandwidth demands, which will be a driver for facilities
overbuild, perhaps using fiber.

Until then, short of allowing other standards bodies to take over the
standardization of Ethernet PHYs, 802.3ah needs to recognize and have
objectives that meet the deployment markets.  How do we make that happen?

 From what I understand, ANSI is working on copper local loop data
transmission facilities standard that is equivalent to an Ethernet PHY.  If
the group wants to allow ANSI and ITU to take control of Ethernet data
transmission facilities standards, then I am fine with that.  Personally I
hate to see that happen.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum