From: owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of
Howard Frazier
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 7:44 PM
To: stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
stds-802-3-efm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; stds-802-3-efm-p2p
Subject: Re: [EFM-P2MP] FW: [EFM] EFM FEC Proposals

Raanan,

regarding your point # 1, this would represent a link
that was operating outside of the specification. If you don't have FEC
at both ends of the link, then the link must comply with the budget for
non-FEC enabled links. The behavior in the region beyond the limits of
the link budget is unspecified.

Another way of saying this is that a link comprising PHYs without FEC
either end will have a budget of X dB, and will have a BER of Y or
better as long as the link loss + penalties is less than or
equal to X.

A link comprising PHYs with FEC at each end will have a budget of
X+delta, and will have a post-FEC BER of Y or better as long as the link
loss + penaties is less than or equal to X+delta.

Operation of a link comprising "old" PHYs (without FEC at each end, and)
with a  link loss + penalties of greater than X dB is outside the scope
of the specification, just as it has always been.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Howard