Re: [EFM] Re: [EFM-P2MP] A Home for EPON security

Dolors,

The proposals that I made to provide the OAM, and P2MP protocol "out of
band" to the MAC/PCS would have provided support for different forms of
security, encryption, FEC, bandwidth management, metering/control, etc,
without effecting the MAC, MAC control, or support for 802.1.  The frame
based OAM could have been supported by this proposal as well.  The group as
a whole regarded those proposals as not reflecting the philosophy of
802.3.  I have been told that my proposal more closely reflected the
direction and philosophy taken by 802.9.

It is not unusual to find that specific protocols such as 802.3 are
specific in their "target" functionality and are not well suited to radical
change.  We are finding this to be the case with 802.3.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum