RE: [EFM] Minutes of P2MP Optics conference 22nd Aug 20002

Hugh,
You uncovered that I still have a copperhead mentality or should I say Bell
Shaped Head. But, I am flying the fiber flag now. However, I sometimes can
be observed attending copper subgroup meetings to participate in the latest
vote in linecode battles.

You answered my request with a GigE link between central office and a remote
VDSL ONU.  I was asking about the use of P2MP interfaces rather than P2P
GigE for Hybrid Fiber/Copper architectures.  With the expected efficiency of
P2MP, could an operator feed 4 VDSL nodes with 200 subs each? Or would point
to point GIgE be needed for each VDSL node? I like conserving my embedded
feeder fiber if I can! I like single fiber P2P and PON for reducing fiber
cost whether making the most use of what fiber is there or planning large
deployments that scale.

-Kent